10 Feb The pros and cons of period sex
For the month of love, we’ll be focusing on all things related to period sex! For some it might be a complete no-no, for others it might be a “hell yes!”, and there may be quite a few of you who are intrigued but haven’t quite made up your mind yet. Wherever you are on the period sex scale today’s blog post can assist you in deciding whether or not it’s something for you.
If you’re going to have penetrative sex (penis in vagina), using some form of birth control or protection is a necessity. For some reason a lot of people believe that you’re not able to fall pregnant when you have your period, but the fact is you can. Before engaging in any sexual activity it’s vital that ALL parties have given consent and are fully aware that it will involve menstrual blood. Remember, consent must always be freely given and can be withdrawn at any time.
Prepping is important when it comes to period sex because of the potential mess that can be created. If you like, you can also lay down a towel, an old blanket or sheet that you don’t mind getting some blood on too. If you’re using a tampon or menstrual cup it would need to be removed beforehand, especially with penetrative sex. It would also be a great idea to keep some tissues or our Biodegradable Intimate Wet Wipes nearby for easy and safe clean up too. Have a look at some of our key pros and cons to period sex below:
1. People who menstruate can experience a higher libido while on their period because of the increase in progesterone. This can make sex so much more enjoyable and fulfilling for them.
2. Deciding to go ahead with period sex is a huge deal, because it takes a lot of vulnerability. So having sex while on your period can also help you release shame about periods or sex. It can also contribute to feeling more confident and comfortable within your body, and can strengthen the bond between you and your sexual partner(s).
3. It’s a wonderful way to relieve menstrual pain or cramps! Penetrative sex can widen the vaginal muscles which helps blood flow easier. If you have an orgasm, the uterus muscles will contract and release which can help ease the pain.
4. Linked to the previous pro, having period sex can shorten your period too. This is because if you have an orgasm, the contraction of the uterus could help speed up the shedding of the uterine lining.
5. One of the most well known pros is that menstrual blood can act as a great natural lubricant too! This is great to ease any discomfort or pain if lubrication is ever an issue.
1. Engaging in period sex can increase the risk of transmitting or getting STDs like HIV which can be present in blood. The cervix is also wider when menstruating which means STDs can be transmitted very easily. Condoms are the best and ONLY form of contraception that can prevent STDs. Even if you’re not going to be having penetrative sex, using a dental dam for anal or oral sex is a must when on your period.
2. As mentioned in the introduction you CAN still get pregnant while on your period. Although the chances are low, it’s not impossible.
3. If you’re not into a little bit of a mess period sex can be a no for you. However, if you are prepared with wipes and a towel or sheet it won’t be as messy. If it still sounds like a bit much, you can opt for shower or bath sex.
4. You can also transmit or get STDs through oral sex too. This can happen through tiny cuts in the mouth, so a dental dam will be your best friend.